Breaking News
Loading...
Wednesday 18 July 2007

Info Post
As you might imagine, I've spent a lot of time over the past few days monitoring news coming out of Japan about the earthquake and its effects on the Kashiwazaki-Kariwa Nuclear Plant. Like a lot of folks, I use the Drudge Report to point me to breaking news sources -- which is why I sat up straight when I saw the following headline:

'REACTOR ISN'T IN GOOD SHAPE': Company Says Radioactive Leak Was Bigger...

But, as Headless Blogger has pointed out, when you follow the link in question, the quote that Drudge highlighted isn't anywhere to be seen in the story. Never mind the fact that there are seven reactors at the plant, not just one.

I think this might be a good time to point out that in the immediate aftermath of an incident like this one, facts often get trampled by hysteria. While I've been a fan of Drudge for a very long time -- going back to the days when he was syndicated over at Wired -- it's important to remember that he wants as many click-throughs as possible.

For a non-hysterical account of the incident, one where all the reactors shut down safely as designed, click here.

UPDATE: Here's a television package from Euro News that seems to get things right:

0 comments:

Post a Comment