Breaking News
Loading...
Monday 12 June 2006

Info Post
Over at Potential Energy, Gia Milinovich has taken a look at the numbers, and wonders why nuclear energy is considered to be a "risky" source of electricity:
The World Nuclear Association has gathered together some information on energy related deaths since 1979 which makes for some extremely interesting reading. In China in 2004, 6,027 people were killed in coal mining accidents (China averages over 5,000 deaths per year from coal mining). Though the Australian coal mining industry is considered the safest in the world, there have been 112 deaths in new South Wales mines alone since 1979. In 1979 and 1980, 3,500 deaths were caused by the failure of hydro-electric dams in India.

Despite all of these facts, nuclear power is still deemed ‘too risky’. If the risks don’t come from ‘accidents’, where do they come from?

I understand the risks posed by radiation and have come to the conclusion that I’d be happy to have a nuclear waste storage facility in my back garden… Can anyone tell me why most people think nuclear power is dangerous?
I have my own ideas, but I'm interested in hearing what other folks in the industry have to say. Stop by Potential Energy and leave your two cents.

Technorati tags: , , , , ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment